Saturday, October 6, 2007

Collegiate vs. Pro

I've debated over this topic with people for a long time. There are definitely benefits at both levels of sports. At the professional level, the game definitely moves faster and the players are more skilled. Also, people love to see and cheer for their favorite stars like Peyton Manning and or LeBron James. Personally, I prefer college sports. The atmosphere before a college football game is very exhilarating and that’s what I lve about collegiate sports. In my opinion, it’s more exciting and I like the tradition behind it, with rivalries such as Ohio State and Michigan in football and North Carolina and Duke in basketball. What draws me to collegiate sports is the pureness of it. Unlike professional sports, the players aren’t paid millions of dollars to play a game. For the most part they play for the love of the game. This is not to say that professional athletes don’t love the game, it’s just that they have other motivations besides enjoyment, like the money, that makes them keep playing. I think players like the aforementioned LeBron James missed out on a great experience by going straight to the pro’s from high school. Both levels have their drawbacks though. Some say that the money in professional sports makes players do crazy things, which is true, but we’ve seen cases where college athletes get caught up with the law too. Take University of Florida safety, Tony Joyner, for example. The point is, I think college sports are slightly better than professional, as far as watching is concerned.

1 comment:

Erica Fuhrman said...

This is a good topic, Brian. I have grown up in both worlds, college football and pro football. I lived in State College, where my dad was the strength and conditioning coach for Penn State, and in Pittsburgh, where my dad was the strength and conditioning coach for the Steelers. Both are fun and exciting to watch. There is suspense and a thrill that you get while watching them. I like the professional atmosphere better. I think that there is still a huge rivalry between teams, i.e. the Steelers and Browns and the Eagles and Dallas Cowboys. Professional teams are just college players that had excelled and made it big. Money does have an impact on players, but you would be surprised how much of it doesn’t effect them also. For example Jerome Bettis gave up an opportunity to go to another team and earn more money, but instead he chose to stay with the Steelers, a team he loved and liked to play for. We hear so much about players going wild with their money, but in reality there are thousands of players, and we are only hearing about a small percentage of them. These two leagues are very similar, but it’s all about your opinion. I just prefer pro over college.